Monday 27 June 2011

Sandwich Time @ the Nordic Bakery and Paul Rothe and Sons


I’ve been hearing about the Nordic Bakery for quite a while now, actually quite a while, but for some reason I just never managed to venture inside and sample the delights that it has to offer. I know I’m not a follower of fashion but this is taking the piss a bit.
The Nordic Bakery is a great place to sit, relax, drink a cup of coffee, nibble on a sandwich or a cinnamon bun and read a few chapters of a book.
I opted for a pickled herring and egg sandwich. An interesting combination that works perfectly, the tangyness of the herring with a sharp dressing and boy do I love boiled eggs in my sandwiches. A throwback to my old schoolboy days.
The latte comes in what can only be described as a mug that would satisfy a giant. It was big. The coffee was just ok, which is a shame as the treats on offer, the vibe, the ambiance of the place is second to none. Get better coffee guys. If Fernandez and Wells can do it then so can you.


Another great sandwich shop is Paul Rothe and Son, which has been around for over a hundred years. It’s hard to describe this place. It’s a shop cum café cum deli all rolled into one.
I’ve never sat down and eaten here, as it is normally full so I always get a takeaway. It’s one of the few places I have found that actually sell cold cuts in their sandwiches. The tongue is my favourite and always on light rye, with English mustard. I’m a creature of habit and when I find something I like, I normally stick to it. Look at me and Wagamama and its chicken katsu currys.


They put just enough mustard on the bread so you can taste it, but it lets the tongue take centre stage. As it’s the only reason I go there.
It’s an old fashioned place with old fashioned values. A rare thing these days. I just wish it was either near my house or my work so I could eat there more regular.

Nordic Bakery on Urbanspoon

Paul Rothe & Son on Urbanspoon

No comments: